Wednesday 17 October 2012

Chatacter IPhone


This is my character Iphone! I recently picked up the book Wicked, The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire and now I can't put it down. I have already read this book but again I find myself enthralled in the magical world of oz.
The first app I have placed on the Iphone I created for Elphaba (The wicked witch) I called Flying Monkey 101. This might seem odd, but in Wicked Elphaba spends much of her time raising a monkey, trying to prove a theory of hers about the intelligence of animals. At a later point in the story Elphaba actually attaches wings to this pet of hers and he flys!
Next I put and app simply called IBooks. I realize that this isn't exactly original, but it really would be on her phone! Elphaba is a very intelligent individual and she always has her nose in a book. Elphaba has this intense curiosity and a drive to always learn something new and more.
My next app is called Defying gravity. This name is a play off of a song from the musical based off of this book. In Wicked there is this unusual broom stick that seems to call to those able to fly on it, it of course called to Elphaba.
Next I had a map app. This would be highly usefull as Elphaba can easily find herself in an unfamiliar location in the confusing land of Oz. A map would most definitely come in handy while trying to navigate the skys.
After this I had an app entitled "Good or Evil" This app would explore more the ideas of good and evil as this is a huge theme in this book.
Next there is an app called Animal or animal. A confusing part of this book is realizing that when the word animal is spelt with a capital, it is refering to an animal able to speak and think in a similar way as we do. Figuring out which is which before they come to a certain age is impossible so an app that could tell you, might save a lot of waiting time.
Next, an app labled understanding... I put ths app on Elphaba's IPhone because it seems that she is conflicted about religon. With her father being a minister Elphaba was raised to believe in her fathers religon, but it seems as if she has never been sure of what she really believes in.
After this app there is a weather app. Elphaba's skin burns at the touch of water, so an app predicting the rain would be a must have!
Next is a news app. There is a lot of political unrest in Oz and Elphaba always seems to be right in the middle of it. Having the latest news at the touch of a button could be quite useful.
Finally I placed an app called "Secrets of Oz". Elphaba runs away at a point in this book and the next time we see her, she has joined a sort of secret group hoping to take down the govornment of Oz. Knowing all of these little secrets would have certainly given Elphaba the upper hand and things might have turned out differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment