Saturday 17 November 2012

Final Day (part 5)


I stood outside the museum and lost myself in my own thoughts. I’m not sure where my mind was but I decided that it was time for lunch. I went to this nice little sandwich shop around the corner. I then didn’t know what to do. My parents and I, we had some good times, but most of them were back home. I just started to walk; it didn’t really matter where I ended up. We vacationed a lot when I was little. California was one of those places we just kept coming back to. My parents loved California for reasons I could never understand. I guess they loved the sun, the year ‘round climate. I never understood but they were so happy when they made that decision to move. They didn’t realize what I was leaving behind. I never could have told them. I was leaving behind the love of my life. His name was Jeremy. We grew up together. It was the typical story. Our parents were close friends, so when they had a kid at the same time as my parents, we were naturally put together all of the time. When we grew up we started to realize that friendship wasn’t enough for either of us, so we started dating in secret. Our parents were none the wiser since we had been hanging out regularly since either of us could remember. You don’t need any expensive dinners or fancy presents when you know each other that well. All we wanted was to be together, and so we would go out on a picnic, walk along a river side, and watch the sunset at the end of each day. When I told him we were moving he was crushed. It was the only time I ever saw him cry. He was at my parent’s funeral, I wasn’t though. Physically I was there, but my mind couldn’t handle it, so it shut down. I shut everyone out that day. He didn’t even approach me. He saw me, I know that. Our eyes connected for a moment, and then he turned away. I heard he was dating someone else through the grapevine and I guess he couldn’t face me knowing that he had someone back home, and I had no one. Since my parents never knew we were dating, they told me excitedly when his parents had passed along that he had brought his new girlfriend home to meet them. I pretended to be happy for him, but I was heartbroken. Something in me had still hoped that he and I would somehow work out someday, that maybe he would wait for me, and then we could run away together, just like he had always wanted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment