Monday 5 November 2012

Reading Reflection #8


The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Stephen Chbosky
Pg. 2-108
I realize that my books are constantly changing and I promise to get back and finish the others, but on Friday I forgot my book at home, so I started reading “The Perks of Being a Wallflower”.
My enjoyment of this book is really odd, because I find myself relating to so many of the characters in a big way. This probably doesn’t seem so odd but I really am in awe of how closely I can relate. I think in a similar way to the way Charlie does and it’s really cool seeing into a mind that seems to be so similar to mine. I wonder if a lot of people feel this way and that’s why the book is so popular. I’m not sure, but that’s something reading this has me thinking about.
                This book is so real in a way that is difficult to find in many stories and difficult to portray. It really looks into the idea of “Everyone has a story”. I mean this as in, it explores the things everyone in Charlie’s family has gone through, instead of focusing purely on one character. This really gives a better perspective on everything; no one is who they are just because. Something has happened in everyone’s lives to make them who they are and this book doesn’t hide that from the reader. Although, if you look closely, this is done in a very strategic way. We still know nothing about characters that are painted as just bad, although there seems to be no way that Charlie could know their backgrounds, they still don’t get the same almost courtesy as other characters do. Charlie’s sister’s boyfriend is a good example of this. He hit Charlie’s sister and we have no idea if he was abused as a child, is still abused, or what has made him like this. We don’t even know if he still hits her, or if that only happened the once.
                I feel like this book is exploring a part of us that some people forget is there, and with everything going on, I can’t express how glad I am to read this book. No one knows what to say in certain situations, but this book is all you need if you’re feeling alone. It proves that you aren’t the only one who has ever felt this way and encourages you to talk to someone, or find a way to help yourself. I can really see why this is such a popular book, I can’t put it down!

2 comments:

  1. This book is one of the most highly stolen books in my classroom library. It is a total cult classic. Have you seen the movie yet? It was so good that I cried like a baby. My husband asked me why I was crying and I told him that is was because this book means so much to so many teens and I was glad to see that the movie was done right. Great job on this reflection, so insightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the movie, I'm not sure if I want to, just because I'm nervous about not enjoying it and ruining the book! I have heard it's really good though and might give it a try as soon as I can. oh, and thank you!

    ReplyDelete