Monday 5 November 2012

Writing Reflection #8


I have some mixed emotions about the newspaper blackout poetry. I enjoyed the looking for words, but even though I know each poem I did was different from the article, it felt like I was just using someone else’s word and the poems didn’t have the same voice as most of my writing has. It was a way of stepping out of my comfort zone even more, and I even picked up another newspaper to try it out again, I’m still uncertain as to if I really like it though. It sucked because, as soon as I got into a nice flow, I’d have a word in mind along with many substitutes, none of them were in the article though. I started so many poems, and then got stumped. I don’t think newspaper blackout is really for me, but I’m still not ready to count it out just yet. It deserves another chance. I found it difficult to keep a poem true to me while using someone else’s words, that really bothered me, and as much as I’m glad I finished at all, I’m not particularly proud of the way any of my poems turned out. They’re a little choppy o say the least and it’s just not my favorite thing. I think with a lot of practice this form of writing could grow on me, but for now I just want to leave poems alone and go back to stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment