Monday 19 November 2012

Final Day (part 7)


Time had gone by without me noticing and all of a sudden I was hungry again and it was about 7:00 in the evening, already getting dark. My last stop for the day was dinner anyways. I went to this restaurant that happened to be just a few blocks away. It had been my favorit restaurant in town for as long as we had lived here. I walked in and asked for a table for one. When you ask for a table for one, the host always looks at you with sympathy. A look that says ‘Oh, I guess you must be so dull that no one wants to hang out with you, that sucks.’ I waited a while until a table was available then sat down. I had a perky, young woman as a waitress and she was always in a hurry for something. I got my food eventually and it was really worth the wait. I finished up and left a very generous tip, trying to get rid of as much of my money as possible since I soon would have no use for it. I walked home and took my time, trying to find a way to convince myself that I had something to live for, to no avail of course. There was nothing. It was time. I couldn’t put this off any longer. The universe was ready to be rid of me, and I was done trying. I was exhausted by the constant disappointment that I was undergoing. I stepped into my empty house. It already felt like a grave yard, soon, it’ll be mine. I walked slowly into the kitchen and opened the drawer with our cutlery. I lay my hand on a large, sharp knife, with a sleek, black handle. This was the one. I was led back into the living room by the decision I had been trying to forget about for days. The decision that I could no longer change. It was the room I had chosen to be my last place of rest. I slashed the knife across my left hand and the blood started to flow and pool in my hand. I scooped some onto the fingers on my right hand and I wrote on the wall my final words. I then sat myself on the couch and I could feel the pain of the split skin on my hand. It was time. 9: 47 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment